Saturday, November 15, 2008

A new trick

.... So I was out of water with potentially 50 miles of nothing to run into to replenish. It was never a serious issue because I could always hitchhike or flag down a vehicle. But I am trying to be as self sufficient as possible. I had ridden another 10 miles and took a break in the dry grass shoulder on the side of the road. I just laid my bike down and set my head back and closed my eyes. I was really tired and bordering frustration from the battering wind and the uphill grade. I might have even fell asleep for a minute.

Then a voice startled me and I sat up, turned around a saw a man in a truck yelling out his window. "Are you OK?" I stood up and waved and told him, "... just taking a siesta". His name was Sherman and he was actually concerned I was hit by a car and laying on the side of the road. He had was heading toward El Paso and actually turned around and backtracked to check on me.

I asked if he had any water and he had a cooler full of bottles in the back of his truck. He even asked me if I wanted a ride, which I considered, but kindly declined. I had moments of regret not taking his ride later on as wind continued to batter me the remainder of the daylight.

So if I need someone to stop, I guess the trick is to just lay on the side of the road and take a nap.

No comments: