Sunday, November 16, 2008

Arriving in Arizona and the AHP



Arizona has become a special place for me. I arrived on a cool (but not cold) evening and rode a couple of hours in the dark. The sunrises and sunsets are amazing and they last much longer than the rare short sunsets we get infrequently in Seattle. I can see myself moving here.





The ride through Tucson was incredibly quick with a great shoulder and a smooth road.




But it caught up with me. I don't know when it happened but all of a sudden I realized I was in pedalling along with 4 lanes of traffic and I was moving 30+ mph. High rises were in the vicinity and I knew I was past the point where I shoul have exited the highway in downtown Tucson. Then the shoulder started to squeeze my lane as I approached a construction zone. And then I saw them a few hundred yards ahead. BUSTED!!! The Arizona Highway Patrol had me. To my credit, and the officers agreed, there were no signs warning me to get the bike off the highway. So they issued me a written warning letting me know that between Tucson and Phoenix is a no biking zone. Ugh... time to find a new route.

So I winded my way through Tucson. It's a nice town and also on my list of potential places to move to. There is a predominant biking community including the annual Tour de Tucson (www.tourdetucson.com).
But the pace was slow today. I now had a longer route that was less direct to Casa Grande, my expected destination. I also had another flat tire which has become a more common occurrence in the desert. I am not sure why, but I am guessing the changes in temperature from the freezing during the evening and the warmth during the day, are causing greater wear on the tires. I'll try to find an answer on the internet.

No comments: