Saturday, October 4, 2008

A ride, a coffee, a workout and a new State

Beginning day 10, Gaultier Mississippi, 10/04/08, mile 651










.... I slept well regardless of the hard slab I was sleeping on. Who knew?





I hoped for today to be a long ride. But I found a sweet little coffee shop call Cold Fusion and a World Gym right behind it. So I knew I was in for a timely, but worthy detour. I had already travelled about 15 miles from where i slept so I was ready to eat. The had a decent menu but the coffee was great. AA Kenya Dark blend in honor of my sweetie who is in Africa. I'm thinking of you...

So I ate and set off to have a great "big group" lift. And it was...




Biloxi was just arond the corner... and over a bridge. The roads turned freshly paved and the ride began to speed up. I was strong today. The knee was feeling better and yesterday's lighter pace ride proved to pay off. Maybe some of the motivation was from being near the poker tables. But I resisted the urge. New Orleans was on my mind.





















Biloxi was having a little art festival and a guy I met at the Shephard State Park Campground said he was going to be there. His name was Keith Stewart (if I remember correctly). I found the festival so maybe Keith is in the background somewhere. Nice to meet you Keith.


So I am not a Hard Rock Cafe junky, but I thought this guitar was pretty cool.





















I rode along the coast after breezing through Biloxi. After seeing the baron beaches I thought, "wow these gorgeous sandy beaches are empty. I can't believe no one is here." It was Saturday and hot and sunny too. I even remember thinking how women always say the like to walk on the beach... what a crock of @#$%.

Then I started to notice that the buildings that were around were newer... really new. And the road I was on was completely being over hauled and narrowed to just one barracaded lane each way. It hit me. This was the beginnings of the aftermath of hurricane Katrina. At a short stop, I met a guy, Doug White, at a convenience store who educated me on his version of the events and trauma that took place. I felt like I had a whole new point of view after talking with Doug.

All in all, everything seemed cleaned up nicely. But the region looked like it was just starting completely over. I felt bad for not being better prepared to understand the devastation.

I wonder what New Orleans will be like... There wasn't even a sign saying "Welcome to Louisiana" at the state line. I'll bet Katrina stole that one too.

No comments: