Friday, October 3, 2008

Reflections leaving Florida

I have been asked "why" by dozens of people on this tour. "What is your reason for bicycling Tampa to Seattle". And in the words of the great Forrest Gump, my best answer is, "... I just felt like biking".

I have been off work for the past 2 1/2 years just playing and partying and wasting time being up to no good. I was heavy and inactive and just loosing purpose in my life. I married the wrong woman and spent a lot of money I didn't need to spend. To my friends, it probably looked like I was just letting my life go and ruining the good things I had going.


From one point of view, that may be true. But it also true that I didn't much like that life or all the "good" things I had going. I got caught up in drinking too much, among other things, and as a result and my life went into an emotional tailspin that took a long time to recover from.


Now, i am proud to be the man I am. I am more like the young man I used to be. And that young man set out and did things that most people couldn't or wouldn't do. "Travis, you go big or go home", a friend once told me. He was referring to partying, but I think it applies here too. Just wait until I get home. Because I am going to have all this time riding to think of the next great adventure.


Here are some recent pictures that make me happy!

2 comments:

Miss Debra said...

You look so wonderful and happy. I'm glad to see you back to who you are. Do you have a proposed map route of your next leg of the journey? We love you! Perhaps see you soon?

Shannon said...

Love you trav...this made me cry....in a good way. I am so very proud of you. I knew you, the you I love would come back. I think we are both on that finding ourselves journey so remember you are not alone. I hope in many ways we can help each other through it and reflect on what we have learned from our challenged past:-)