Friday, October 3, 2008

Alabama by surprise!






















I stopped at the Crap Trap on Perdido Key to rest, charge up and feed. I had a "She Crab" bisque and a seared tuna steak. http://www.crabtrapdestin.com/main.htm Charity was my server and she was very nice. She is trying to adopt a little girl who is also sick with a staff infection. I hope she is ok. Thank you for the great food and service.




...so I just assumed that I would be in Alabama after crossing the Mobile Bay ferry at the very end of today's ride. After 7 straight days riding in Florida I was I was looking forward to getting another state notched in my belt for the trip. Well, this was just a mile or so past the Crab Trap Restaurant. Lol, maybe I should look at the map better. Surprise!















I had a 40 mile bike and a 7:15pm ferry to catch at Fort Morgan to Dauphin Island, where I had arranged for a campsite to nest for the evening. I was just after 4pm so I had little time to waste. At about 6:30 I past Tacky Jacks, just 2 miles from the ferry dock. And I was exhausted. I had been mashing the pedals for about 2 1/2 hours straight. The sun was lower on the horizon, beaming in my eyes most of the way and the wind kept me at a slow pace. I could use a cold light beer. Beer never tastes better than after a long ride in the sun.










http://www.tackyjacks.com/BarAndGrill2.html



I tasted my Michelob Ultra, then downed another long drink before going outside to see the sunset. Somehow a sunset never ever gets boring. They are so impressive, yet pass so quickly.

I went back inside and then it all began to unravel. I met Mickey who introduce me to...












...Roger, his long time drinking buddy. And we ordered drinks from...



Wanda, then went upstairs and ate dinner...
I had a scrumptious, Rib Eye steak sandwich that was served by...
Freddy, the greatest waitress that Fort Morgan has ever seen
And lets not forget Peggy from the museum...










... and Eugene on the mike!
I had a great time with these folks.
Thanks Mickey and Roger for the great time. I hope to see you again.
This is the Mickey's Beach house I got to stay in for the night and below is the sunrise I actually woke up in time to take a picture of... Now this is how you spend your 1st day in Alabama!!!

6 comments:

Shannon said...

How cool is that. Alabama has some nice folks and I am glad they took care of my brother. :-) By the way, josie says hi and says it is awesome what you are doing.

Kukie Monstr said...

Hi Josie. Miss you sis. By the way that is a great picture of you. Where is that? I'm almost to Biloxi.

Shannon said...

Thanks Addy took it...zach's niece...I guess my niece too and yours :-). She stayed with me last weekend and we went to Phantom of the Opera and Pacific Science Center...she took that pic...she did good. It was a great weekend. :-) I can't believe how far you have gone already...pretty impressive.

PRIVATE OFFICER BREAKING NEWS said...

Thanks for stopping by! Isn't our world here beautiful? And we have some great folks down here too!

Good luck with your journey. Travel safe and be blessed!

Chaplain Rick

charity said...

Hi Travis, I am Charity the waitress at the Crab Trap. I'm glad you enjoyed your time at our restaurant and looks like you had a lot more fun later. ha ha Good luck on the rest of your journey and thanks for the "good luck" you wished my way....people like YOU are why I still enjoy what I do at this age! I'll will enjoy tracking your journey through your blog, thanks for the link!

Kukie Monstr said...

Hi Charity. Thank you for looking up my blog. The picture with your little girl is very cute. Hope to see you online down the road.