Monday, September 29, 2008

Experience morning on the Forgotten Coast



Beginning Day 5, approaching Caribelle, 9/29/08, mile 297




I was basically squatting at Holiday Campground because I arrived after their offices were closed the night before. I pitched my tent right in front of the office at site #2 where I wasn't suppose to (I didn't know it at the time) and I was leaving before their offices opened. Before I rolled my tent up a van pulled up and a man elder man went inside. For those of you who know me, I won't even go into McDonalds to use that bathroom without buying something, so I was relieved to have some closure on how and who to pay. I walked into the office and told the man when I came in last night and that I owed someone some money. He said, "no you dun't, just dun't get run over." I offered my sincere thanks and moved on.




I bought new batteries for my red light rear flasher and pedalled away in the dark over the bridge leading west.




BAM!!!! at about 24 MPH i hit a 2X4 plank I didn't see on the side of the road. Honestly, I couldn't believe I didn't wipe out. My water bottles went flying out onto the road and my heart pounded through my chest. I stopped to check the bike. It was dark so i couldn't tell for sure but everything seemed in order and I retrieved the water bottles. As i rode on a ticking noise from the front wheel clacked at each revolution. The reflector in the wheel moved slightly from the impact I think. I don't think it is a problem. Panama City is 100 miles away and there will be bike shops there I can check out and get a tune up.




Sunrise was simply beautiful. Much of this land is untouched in its natural beauty. What an awesome ride to Caribelle.





















At Caribelle, I stopped at a breakfast cafe called The 2 Al's Cafe and ate my first "exploded biscuit". It is much like an omelette with the biscuit as the eggs instead. Yummy. I approve!
















Bridge over the Caribelle River

1 comment:

Mom and Dad said...

It is beautiful country. Ironic with all the critters you spoke of its a piece of litter that all most got you.